Reopening: MP24833 strange behavior

I’m reopening this thread ( MP24833 strange behaviour ) because after more than a month and a half without a response, and on the very day I received an email saying that the company’s engineers respond to forum posts in less than 24 hours (hilarious), they posted a reply and closed the thread.

I’d like an explanation of how a high inrush current can damage the boards.

Perhaps I didn’t explain it well enough, but these boards function as a kind of “emergency lighting” in an installation with a 48-volt battery bank. The boards are not connected while the system is charging and only connect after the system enters backup mode. That’s why I mentioned that the operating voltage is slightly less than 48 volts.

To prevent over voltages or overshooting from switching and long wiring, I’ve implemented a surge protector on each branch of the lights, consisting of an SMCJ48A TVS diode and a 220uF x 200V electrolytic capacitor.

Verified with two different oscilloscopes, the startup is “smooth” and the over voltage is between 1.5% and 2% after many tries. I had already indicated that in the original post there was a transient of less than 1 volt during connection.

In all cases, I am within the chip’s parameters. Can you explain how connecting many boards, and not just one or two, would destroy it?

I really expect a response within 24 hours, as promised in the email you sent me as an advertisement.

By the way, 40 PCBs with a 4.5uF input capacitor is less than 2000uF. I tested this by placing a 3000uF (low ESR, like the capacitors on each pcb) capacitor at the end of each branch, and not only were there no inrush current, but the transient response improved, and the over voltage was reduced to less than 0.5%.

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification. We appreciate the opportunity to solve this issue. Please be assured that multiple resources are being used to fulfill your request.

To best assist you, we have some questions about your system to further diagnosis this issue:

  1. Could you please provide input voltage pin waveforms for the battery and the MP24833 device during startup?

  2. Could you please provide waveforms of the current through the 30m line during startup?

  3. What is the wire gauge of the 30m line?

  4. What is the chemistry of the 48V battery?

Thanks,

Mason

Thanks for your answer. I will be able to send you the waveforms for points 1 and 2 in 15 days when I return to the installation site; I am happy to do so to clarify what happened.

Regarding point 3 the cable from the batteries to the point where the branches split is 30 meters of 6 mm² (approximately 10 AWG), and each branch (approximately 10 meters long) is 1.5 mm² (which, again, I believe is 16 AWG).

The battery setup consists of four Yuasa UXH100-12NFR lead-acid units connected in series.

I will be happy to answer any further questions that help clarify the case.

Thank you for the information. When you have the waveforms, please feel free to include @Mason.FAE in your response to ping me. We will review them as quickly as possible.

Thanks,

Mason

1 Like