MP6532GR-P, need clearance in the documentation

Hello,
Reading the datasheet of MP6532GR-P, I need assistance about OCP protection that is ambiguous in its description in the datasheet.

1. Page 10:, the Block diagram. It is seen that OCP depends on the voltage drop on Rsense resistor and 0.5V on inverting input of the OCP comparator.
  2. Page 12: In the section about OCP, it is written: “OCP protection can be disabled by connection a
    100kΩ resistor from VREG to the OCREF pin.”

My question is how 100kOhm from VREG to OCREF disables OCP? I see how this resistor disables the short circuit protection only.

Regards, Ivan Cenov

Hello Ivan,

The DS states that SCP is done by monitoring VDS, while OCP is done by monitoring current through Rsense.

So the 100k from OCREF to VREG bypasses the real VDS value, thus bypassing the SCP.
If you do not want OCP function then do no feed Rsense information to the IC by connecting the LSS pin and MOSFET Source terminals directly to ground.
If you do not want OCP and SCP, then follow both of the steps above.

Regards.
Jonathan Hidalgo

Hello, Jonathan,

Thank you for your answer.

So, this means, that If I want OCP, I will have SCP too. It is not possible to have OCP only.

Regards,
Ivan Cenov

Hello Ivan,

OCP is done through the low side shunt resistor while SCP is done by monitoring the Vds across each FET and comparing to OCREF voltage.
These are two separate things.

Regards,
Jonathan Hidalgo