MP6515 Enable pin (ENBL) maximum frequency

Hi,

We can not find the MP6515 Enable pin’s (ENBL) maximum frequency. We would like to run at a low input frequency PWM (around 1kHz with on-time 80-100%) and can not find what input frequency range is allowed to be on the Enable input.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you for contacting the MPS Forum. This information isn’t stated in the datasheet, I’m not sure this is appropriate functionality for this device but I can look into this for you. Keep in mind that many engineers are out on vacation at this time so answers are delayed. Note the way the device is controlled in the datasheet:

The PWM functionality actually refers to the current limiting functionality, you can read more about this in the datasheet page 10.

If you would like to try PWM signals on the ENBL pin yourself, my suggestion would be to order an evaluation board of this device for your own testing.

Thanks,
Brendan Schoemehl
Field Applications Engineer
Monolithic Power Systems | MPS Now

Hi @mpsnow.brendan,

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I should rephrase. How fast can you turn ENBL on and off? The datasheet seems quite lite on information around this?

Cheers,

Matt

Hi,

Any update on this?

Cheers,

Matt

Due to the American holiday Thanksgiving we had many engineers out the past 2 weeks. Things are returning to normal again so I will continue working on getting you an answer for this, hopefully by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Brendan

Hi Matt, thank you for your patience. I’m hoping to have an answer for you within the next day. Talk to you soon.

Brendan

Hi Matt,

I consulted our engineers on this device, they mention testing has been done and a 1kHz PWM on ENBL is acceptable. We want to mention that doing this with lots of current may require an external Schottky diode to carry recirculation current, otherwise when disabling the current goes through the body diodes.

Thanks,
Brendan