MP5479 - How to programm the converter before turning on?

Hello, I have some trouble with programming the MP5479. I dont understand, how to enable logic without the power part? I have EVKT-USBI2C-02 (I have to use only I2C), that helps me change the registers, but it happens with enabled bucks&LDO’s.
My connection:
EN1 - 3.3V
AVIN (and all input) -5V
PWRON - low level (GND)
But, anyway, I can see the current consumption (0.164A), but cant connect through Virtual Bench.

Hello,
Welcome to the MPS Technical Forum!

Would you be able to clarify what you are trying to change with I2C? (e.g. changing individual buck or LDO output voltages). To connect through Virtual Bench, you will need external power supplied to the MP5479 in addition to the I2C to USB. When powered on, you can scan for the part through Virtual Bench. You will then be able to change registers by either writing to volatile memory or nonvolatile memory. Any changes made to volatile memory will only remain in effect as long as the part remains powered-on. Changes made to nonvolatile memory will remain in effect until overwritten.

note: The PWRON pin must be pulled high by an external voltage for Virtual Bench to detect the device.

Feel free to reach out for any additional assistance!

Best,
Luke

1 Like

I really thank you for the answer!
I have to enable parallel mode Buck1-3 and Buck 2-4 and change LDO’s output voltages. My problem is that PWR ON turns on the circuit’s power outputs, which doesn’t suit me as the device will burn out. Therefore, my goal is to enter the programming mode via Virtual Bench without a working power part.
So can you help me - can I enable programming mode (that means PWRON is high) without power part (OUT1, OUT2, etc)?

Hello,

Is the MP5479 permanently connected to the load? The device must be turned on and have no load prior to entering MTP programming mode. Once MTP programming mode is enabled, all bucks and LDOs will shut down.

Best,
Luke