MP28167-A Current Backflow Protection

Hello, we are currently considering MP28167-A for use in a test device that will supply 3~20V voltage to DUTs by directly connecting to DUT rail. The DUT rail may or may not have power already.

I’m wondering whether MP28167-A can handle the following scenarios without damaging itself, become unstable, or causing current backflow to IN:

• MP28167-A unpowered but DUT is powered
  • MP28167-A powered and DUT is powered by another source, with very close voltage to MP28167-A output setpoint
  • MP28167-A powered and DUT is powered with a higher voltage than MP28167-A setpoint (<23V)

We can insert an ideal diode after OUT, but it will be nice to save one extra IC if the converter can handle this.

I would also like to ask whether it’s the same for MP28167, MP8859, MP8860/2, as these SKUs seem to have the same die.

Thank you!

Hello Joshua,

I would recommend a OR ring diode at the output to protect the DUT. The MP28167A or other parts might be able to withstand the reverse current, but we cannot guarantee it.

In general we do not recommend having multiple power sources on a single voltage bus without protection.

Kind regards,

Eliza