MP2639C MODE change

Dear support, I want a piece of advice regarding the MP2639C Mode change. I understand that setting up the MODE pin high = discharge, low = charge. Now how I am supposed to use the MP2639C as a Power Bank without uC. Can I use an inverter to invert the signal coming from the USB once it is plugged into the MODE pin and that will set the pin LOW to enter charge Mode? Or there is a better way to accomplish this?

Hi mfm1500,

While the best method of implementing this is a microcontroller, something else that can work is either a FET or transistor network or an inverter like you mentioned. I would choose whichever solution is easiest to implement for you, it sounds like the inverter method may be something you are already familiar with.

Thanks,
Brendan Schoemehl
Field Applications Engineer
Monolithic Power Systems | MPS Now

1 Like

Thanks for your response. So there is no damage if I plug the USB IN while the MP2639C set on discharge mode? Plus is there any way to display the LEDs always ON while it is on discharge mode? Finally what is the differences between MP2639C and MP2639A? Thanks a lot

The device is essentially meant to charge and discharge from the same port, so plugging in the input while still in discharge may not be ideal. However, Figure 17 in the datasheet shows the ability to both charge and discharge with 2 ports. I think this would be a safe way for you to achieve an input plug in while you are still in discharge.

I believe the LEDs are based on a timer and cannot be set to always on in discharge. It’s automatically set to 5 seconds.

The MP2639C is an updated version of the MP2639A, both versions are still active and can be used interchangeably.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.
Thanks,
Brendan

1 Like