MP2636 Vin of 9V - 15V or other IC

I am designing a power backup system for tablets that uses USB - C.

(fast switch over from external power to battery is not needed)

The datasheet for the MP2636 says Vin can be up to 16V, with a suggested operation max of 6V. Is it possible/recommended to run a continuous input of 9V? (possibly a continuous 15V)

If not, can you point me to a similar chip that supports a higher input voltage? (3A pass through capable)

The application specifically requires a pass through power path with a current limit, as the system current draw increases, the charge current is decreased. (priority is given to the system)

Cheers

Hello Jonas,

welcome to the MPS forum.
Please have a look at MP2731 – MP2731 | Single Cell 4.5A Fast Charger with NVDC Power Path, OTG, and Integrated ADC | MPS
In fact, MP2636 would switch off the HS-FET right after detecting input voltage greater than ~6V. I believe this doesn’t make too much sense in your application.
MP2731 operates up to 16V (plus transients) and gives enough headroom with charge current.

Best Regards,
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for your response, the MP2731 looks great, although it is in per-release, unfortunately my timeline is narrower.

I saw your MP2639B, it appears like it has similar functionality as the MP2636 but with a greater Vin.

I was unable to find it in stock though

Thanks for bringing up the HS-FET, that definitely would not have worked

Cheers

Jonas

Hello Jonas,

yes, MP2639B also fits into this voltage requireements. Please keep in mind, that the battery isno separated from the system in this case (BATT / SYS pins). But if this is not a show stopper to your application, MP2639B is also a good choice and yes - it has been released some time ago and it is already available in bigger quantities. MP2731 is also released, but due to being quite new to the market, stock might be lower…

by the way: Farnell has stock of MP2639B. I cannot see what is our stock in our main warehouse, but both parts are also available and should be shipped within a few days - nevertheless which distributor you chose.

Best Regards,
Samuel

Thanks, I did not see that, that will not work, as I need to be able to charge the battery and have a pass through path to the system. (that maintains the current limit)

Yes the MP2731 appears to not be on any of the sites I use, do you know of any that have stock. Or when chips will be shipped out?

Thanks for your help
Jonas

Hello Jonas,

my bad, I think I missed that last one. My apologies!!

Please help to contact your local MPS sales or FAE to help ship out parts or samples to you. We have engineering samples available ready just now. About bigger quantities, please help to work with the sales colleagues together to get things going through a distribution channel.

Best Regards,
Samuel