MP2635: IC not boosting when Vin in removed

Hello team,

I am using the evaluation board EV2635B-R-00A to test the MP2635 IC.

With the battery connected between BAT and GND and 5V supplied to the IC between Vin and GND, I get the expected 5V at the SYS to GND pin. The issue is when the 5V Vin removed, I get only 4.3V at the SYS pin. All the 3 LEDs also glows during this condition.

I have observed the following:

• If a very light load is connected between SYS and GND, then when the 5V Vin is removed, the IC successfully boosts to 5V and my load works without any issue.
  • In a condition where the switchover from charge to boost happens with this light load connected, and then I add my original load, it continues to stay at 5V without any issue.

All in all, with my original load connected, the IC is not able to boost to 5V when the charger is disconnected. It looks like some sort of inrush current protection is kicking in.

Please advise on how to solve this issue and feel free to ask me if you need any other information.

Many thanks,
Abhijith.

Hi Abhijith,

For this type of request, please fill out the MPS NOW Technical Support form. A member from the MPS NOW team will contact you within 24–36 hours about this request.

Link to MPS NOW Technical Support form: https://www.monolithicpower.com/contact/mps-now-technical-support.html”

Thanks,

Eliza