MP2615A SEL high voltage

According to the datasheet, I need to set the SEL pin high to select 4.2V/cell on the MP2615A.

The datasheet does not indicate how high SEL needs to be pulled to be above the input-high-threshold. It does say that 6V is the absolute maximum.

What is the input-high-minimum voltage on the SEL pin?

Can I connect it to VCC (pin3) to pull it up to 4.5V without breaking the “do not connect an external load to VCC” requirement?

If so, would you suggest a pullup resistor value to use on that connection?

Hi tyler,

I’m looking into your question, will respond asap.

Thanks,
Cindy

Hi tyler,

Thanks for your question.
Yes, I agree the datasheet could be a little more clear on the SEL HIGH/LOW parameters.
However, I did find on the datasheet under the EC Table on page 4, it mentions under “conditions” that Vsel is set to 4V for high and 0V for low. Hope that clears things up.
In regards to Abs Max ratings, 4.5V should be fine on SEL. Just don’t surpass 6V or the device can get damaged.

Thanks,
Cindy

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. That is consistent with my assumptions. I have a 5.0 supply on the board I can use.

It would be nice to know if 3.3V is high enough. It would also be nice to know if It could be tied to MP2615A pin 3, without loading the Vcc pin.

Hi tyler,

Actually, a good guide on connecting SEL would be to reference the EVB schematic on page 3 of the datasheet.

If you refer to the highlighted area in the screenshot, SEL is actually pulled high using VCC and a 20.5Kohm series resistor. So tying the pin to Vcc shouldn’t be a problem. I’d also guess 4V is the minimum to pull SEL HIGH.

Cindy

1 Like