MP2338 input voltage

Hello, everyone. I hope you are fine.
I’m a little confused about MP2338 datasheet.
The main information is Vin = 4.5 to 28V.
But in all schematics along the datasheet, appears Vin 6.5 to 28V.
Which information is correct? My circuit must be Vin = 5V to Vout = 3V3, 1,5Amps (maximum).
Can you help me?

Hi Paulo,

MP2338 is OK for 5V input voltage. You can use it for your operation. But you should make sure your input voltage will never go below 4.5V.

We also have lots of ICs that can do 5V to 3.3V, 1.5A load. If you are interested, I am glad to help you do a cross.

Best,
Fox

Well the reference schematic is 5V out and it is a buck converter, so no way can that example circuit regulate its output voltage at 5V from a 4.5V input. But then the question why 6.5? Is the dropout 1.5V? and what are the implications for a 5 to 3.3. The issue becomes the minimum OFF time and designed for ON time impose an effective duty cycle limit. You need 66% or higher. The frequency is specified at 350 to 550 khz and the nominal OFF time at 160nsec. At 450khz the period is 2.2usec and implies that the maximum duty cycle is 92.7%. So no problem! However the data sheet doesn’t give you enough information to know for sure. No maximum OFF time is specified. They could sell you a chip with a 800nsec min off time and that would still meet the datasheet nonspec, but actually won’t work in your application. Pet peeve of mine, I am sure it will be OK ( mostly)

Hey Paulo.

I see it’s your first time posting and that you’ve had plenty of support! Glad to see that.

As for your given specifications of Vin = 5.5V, Vout = 3.3V, and 1.5A maximum, I can recommend the MP9161A for your specific application. This is assuming you were looking for a chip that better suits your application and wanted to save on cost.

Best,
Krishan