Macom Software SNR, end of shaft configuration

How can we measure the SNR for different magnets and get a reading in mT from the encoder board as well as set a end of shaft configuration when using the evaluation kit (eval board for MA730 + EVKT-MACOM) + Macom software?

Hello pratik,

1. The MA730 outputs the magnetic field direction, it does not provide a direct measurement of the magnetic field intensity in mT. Anyway, it is possible to get a rough idea of the field intensity by changing the magnetic field detection thresholds MGxT (see DS page 21) and checking when the magnetic flags MGH/MGL toggle. In alternative, you can use our online simulation tool to simulate the magnetic field generated by different magnets at the sensor location.

2. The MACOM app provides the resolution in bit of the angle measurement.It is shown in the main page. This should help you compare different magnets.

3. To use the sensor in end-of-shaft, you only need to make sure the BCT parameter is set to 0 (which is the default value).

I hope this helps.

BR,

Carmine

Hi Carmine,

Thanks for your reply.
Could you please tell me more about changing the magnetic field detection threshold and point me to DS page 21. When i change the MGH/MGL thresholds, I’m not sure of the units and hence cannot make sense of the information presented in the app.

For example, I set the MGL as ‘1’ and I see the resolution is ~12 bits even though the MGL flag is toggled high (i.e. the app tells me field strength is low)

Hello pratik,

You can find the MA730 Datasheet here.

In table 16 you can find the field intensity in mT corresponding to each MGHT/MGLT level.

BR,

Carmine