Having USB full speed communication on D+ D- while using MP5031

Hi
We are considering using MP5031 as USB-C PD controller together with communication on the D+ D- line, but we are worried that the precense of MP5031 connected on D+ D- corrupt data communication.

Normally it is not good practice to have several paths of D+ D-, for signal integrity.

Is is possible to use MP5031 without connection to D+ D-, only supporting “normal” USB-C PD?

I hope this is not a silly question :slight_smile:

Hi @tll,

The DP/DM pins are used to determine the charging mode. Depending on what charge mode you want you would be requiring the DP/DM connections.
You can follow the layout guidelines from the DS for optimal performance.

Thank you
Saurabh

Hi,

I have similar questions as above mentioned:

Which charging profile will be selected by MPS5031 without CC-lines connected (i.e. older IPADs with USB2 and 5V bus voltage only)

When USB2 and CC lines connected to 5031:

• can USB2-signals additionally be routed to USB-Hub chip?
    Background: we need USB-C outputs with 60W max. power and data distribution via USB2-Hubs

Hi @reinhard.drechsel,

It would be BC1.2 charging. Please refer to the Charge Mode Auto-Detection on pg. 15 of the DS.

Thank you.

When USB2 lines are not connected to 5031: Which power will be provided for older Systems without CC lines?

When USB2 and CC lines connected to 5031:

can USB2-signals additionally be routed to USB-Hub chip?
Background: we need USB-C outputs with 60W max. power and data distribution via USB2-Hubs

Hi @reinhard.drechsel,

If you’re using USB A then DP/DM will be used. If you’re using type C, CC line will be needed.
I believe you would need the CC lines since you want type C on the hub. CC lines are for discovery, configuration and management of connections across a Type C cable. USB A pin out has D+ and D- which cannot be connected to CC lines. These get connected to DP and DM respectively.

Thank you
Saurabh