Can I power a fan with an MP8774?

Hello, I am looking to power a 12V fan that will draw a typical current of 4.8A, but up to 8A. My battery voltage is 16.8VDC, and I would like to use the MP8774GQ-Z to regulate the fan’s supply voltage down to 12VDC. The MP8774 datasheet seems to indicate that it is rated for a 12A continuous output current and can output a voltage of 0.6V to 12V. Question: is powering a fan with 8A at 12V something the MP8774GQ-Z is capable of safely?

I am also considering making the 12V output of the MP8774GQ-Z the input to a half-bridge driver so that I can PWM the power to the fan. Question: is this sort of load something that the MP8774GQ-Z would be capable of handling?

Thank you!

Hello,

Question: is powering a fan with 8A at 12V something the MP8774GQ-Z is capable of safely

Please refer to the absolute maximum ratings section the data sheet.
The MP8774 is rated for 3-18V input, 0.6-12V output with continuous 12A current.
These conditions seem to be match what your fan needs to operate.

Question: is this sort of load something that the MP8774GQ-Z would be capable of handling?
As long as your half-bridge driver matches the requirements of the MP8774 output, there shouldn’t be an issue.

I hope this helps.

Eliza