Body diodes in MP6551

I am using the MP6551 to control a DC motor. When stopping or reversing the motor the peak currents are close to the value of the internal current limiter. According to the data sheet this should not be a problem.
But I have experienced a few times that one of the body diodes has been damaged and converted to a short - zero Ohm.
How can I protect the body diodes? External diodes seem not to help.

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution ?

I use two small resistors and four protection diodes. But in addition I limited the slew rate for speed change of the motor.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I also decided to limit slew rate of motor. Most dangerous seems reversing polarity. I force the SW to break before.

I also tried put 2 devices in parallel (hoped for more current). Worked like charm - all test passed (did not remove power, 1st shot was lucky - I think I started at low voltage with lab supply and then increased to see if overvoltage was the issue). Then big surprise IC’S kill themself on power-up (with planned voltage 12.6V) . Sampe failure picture short to GND.

I see no reason for this (slew rate resistor was 0 Ohm). Maybe an MPS engeneer will clarify.

sometimes IC’s die on turn off, but you don’t know about it until you turn them on again.