MPM3650 - output shutting off at certain input voltages

Hello All,

The issue is related to a DCM and CCM transition issue. This issue will be fixed in the next revision.

It is recommended to switch over the MPM3650C if your output voltage is below 3.3V. The MPM3650C has FCCM.

If work is needed at no load conditions the MPM3632S or the MPM3683-7 are recommended.

If you need high efficiency at light load conditions it is recommended to use the MPM3630 or the MPM3683-7.

If your operation stays in CCM or DCM, then it is fine to keep using this device.

Thank you,
Vinh Tran
Field Applications Engineer

2 Likes

Thank you Vinh, great to hear you’ve identified the source of the issue.
May I ask when the next MPM3650 revision is planned?

I intend to switch to the MPM3630 in our next PCB revision, as I have the EVM for it, and it appears to be working very well in our application. However, it would be great to know when a revised MPM3650 would be available, as it would allow us to use our current PCB’s. It’s a great device too in terms of high current output in a small package, and ease of use, so it’d be great to have the option to use it with variable loads in the future.

Hello danltec,

Our next revision for this device will be around 2-3 months. If you would like more business/technical support please reach out to MPS NOW Remote Support.

Thank you,
Vinh Tran
Field Applications Engineer

1 Like

Thank you for all your help Vinh!

Hi Vinh,
I was just wondering if you had any updates regarding the next revision of this device?
Will the next revision have a new part number, suffix, or another way to identify newer Vs older revisions?

Hi danltec,

The new revision is expected around Q3.

Thank you,
Vinh Tran

1 Like

Hello, curious if this new revision has released. Thanks.

I am also curious, as we’re past Q3 2022 now, and I’d like to avoid a redesign of my PCB if I can help it.

Vinh, has the new revision been released, and if so, how can we identify it compared to the older version?

1 Like

Hi Vinh, I’m considering using this device again in a different application - has the new revision been released, correcting this bug relating to the DCM and CCM transition?

Hello @danltec ,

Happy to report that the DCM CCM transition issue was fixed near the end of 2022!

Regards,
Jonathan

1 Like

Thank you Jonathan! That’s great news.

May I ask, how can we identify components which include the fix? I want to avoid inadvertently buying older stock which still has the issue, as it simply wont work in our applications.

thank you,
regards,
Daniel

Hey danltec,

All our old components with this issue are gone, any new stock that you get through us or distributers will not have this issue.

Just for peace of mind thought, here is the top marking documentation, just have to look for a date code greater than October 2022!

Regards,
Jonathan Hidalgo

1 Like

Awesome, great information, thank you!